The Secret Ingredient is Crime

I have set this Blog up to keep in contact with my dear friend Johannes de Silentio; he is possibly the coolest person I've ever met and I never want to lose contact with him. Correction: He IS the coolest person I have ever met.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

I can't NOT Post about it

I could post about general activities in my life: headed up to Carlisle with M and his folks to buy M a car, planning my move to Bangor, wHales to bunk out till December with the boy, seeing We Are Scientists, working on the thesis, etc. but I'm compelled to write about the obvious...that bitch Katrina.

Now I know that Katrina has been getting a lot of coverage lately, and let's face it, she's fucking riviting. Everytime you thought she had finished, she keeps turning up, wrecking havoc on folks and leaving them, broken and alone. It's amazing how many families she's manage to screw over, and how well after she's gone, she still manages to do damage.

Yet whilst she's riviting, I'm really pissed off about her. I can't believe that everyone has kinda let this happen, especially when they full well knew she was coming to town. Now I know that she's unstable and changes her mind on a dime, but come on: it's like if you hate Hallowe'en -- you shut the lights and leave town for the night and face the consequences in the morning. So it upsets me that people didn't leave when they had a chance.

Yes yes, not everyone was at liberty to just up and leave...but people could have helped. Why weren't there efforts to get everyone out, because like I said, it's not like people want to be around her. She made her intentions known well before she dropped in, and there are plenty of buses, planes, trains, cars, etc that could be commandered to help people pull a runner.

And then she shows up, bitchy as usual. Throwing shit around and letting everyone know that's she's fucking furious. Tearing families apart, doing her usual murderous rampage, slapping people around like they don't exist. And as soon as she's done, she leaves, crashing the car just to prove a point, and then what happens. NOTHING! No one goes in to see if they can help mend the mess...no one brings potlucks over, knowing that Katrina stole the boat and flooded the house. No one thinks to send some water since she clogged the plumbing, they just wait.

I know I know, logistics, etc. But come on! This is ridiculous! And of course its a racial thing. Oh this doesn't happen to white people...they know to leave when Katrina's coming into town. Katrina only fucks over the blacks and hispanics, etc. I don't necessarily think that she's a racist, I think she just goes for the easy targets...you know, the one's who couldn't get out. Like I said, she's a bitch.

So I'm just a little upset. And yet rivited. I keep watching for my updates, wishing I could help but thankful I didn't have to deal with her. I just hope that maybe Georgie will finally address the fact that the next time katrina, or her sister's and brothers stop by, that people might need to take cover...

3 Comments:

  • At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree, the most terrible part about the hurricane is people's reaction to it, not the hurricane itself. On the BBC we saw this psychologist who said that it was a sad commentary on American society that people are out buying guns to protect their property, rather than helping fellow humans.

    And on a literary note: nice personification.

     
  • At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    P.S. Are you and M going to shack up?

     
  • At 6:29 AM, Blogger Lyla said…

    M and I might be shacking up and we might not be...the future is unknown and I am without a job.
    How's shacking up with L? Doesn't he smell?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home