The Secret Ingredient is Crime

I have set this Blog up to keep in contact with my dear friend Johannes de Silentio; he is possibly the coolest person I've ever met and I never want to lose contact with him. Correction: He IS the coolest person I have ever met.

Friday, June 17, 2005

Feeling a bit knackered

So when it rains it pours...or so they say.

Last friday I was feeling pathetic and so very poor and I posted a somewhat depressing post. About fifteen minutes later I got the phonecall saying I did indeed have the LFC job and I was to start on Monday...little did I know that I have accepted the monster of all jobs.

This week I am working 8 to 5:30 Monday to Friday and 8 - 3 on Saturday AND Sunday..and then I go back on M to F for the 8 to 5:30 hours....I'll earn about 270 quid this week, give or take...wow...

last friday I also got an email telling me that an application that Kristie and I had put in to create a tourism plan for the Lake District had been shortlisted and passed on to the appropriate people...so that could translate into a contract of about 900 quid.

Then yesterday I had two emails, one from a uni colleague here in Liverpool and one from my old firm in DC, both asking if I'd be interested in doing some GIS contract work for them...score!

THEN TODAY, I got a phone call from a firm in Manchester who asked that I call back about a senior transportation planner position I had applied for (I'm assuming I need to set up an interview but it was too late to call back today so that will be confirmed on Monday)...and then I came home to find out I have a job interview for a position as a business strategist for the City of Liverpool in just over a weeks time....

CRAZY!!! OH and adding to my good news: I checked the plants that my wonderful M and I planted on Sunday and I now have lettuce...

AND today at work, crazy story...so coworker K was inputting an order and she looked at the name and was like, oh my god, this is for 10 downing street! So we look at the name and its an order for a Mr. E Blair...so we all get somewhat excited over the celebrity order...and the excitement grew when the credit card was DECLINED!!!

So we got to talking about how sending out a letter with this news was sucky, especially if we could just call and perhaps get a new card...so we looked up the order and found a mobile number...everyone else in the office was like, 'i'm not going to call, but lyla, you can'...so I said, 'of course I'll call -- why wouldn't I?'....

So I get on the phone and I'm like:

L: Hi can I speak to a Mr. E Blair
EB: Yes, this is him, um, who is this?
L: This is Lyla from the LFC. I'm calling about an order you placed with us, but the card has been declined.
EB: What? Huh..oh, uh, I'm sorry...I"m in Vegas at the moment...Thats funny, that shouldn't have happened.
L: I was wondering if you wanted to provide us with another card to place the order...
EB: sure -- (fumbles, reads off number and NO I'm not providing it for you!)....what did I order?
L: Lets see, a champions of europe DVD
EB: oh, yeah, right....Oh, here's the security code for the card...
L: Thanks! We'll input this in and if there are any further problems we'll call back...I hope you have fun in Vegas..
EB: Thanks!

--Note while the conversation may not seem thrilling it was to me -- and he genuinely seemed confused about how we had his number yet he gave me the card straight away -- i think the accent may have confused him...

So yes..what else -- crappy news this week was M's finding out he didn't get the job...which really really sucks...he's managed to pick up some shift work as a steward at concerts -- so he's seen U2/thebravery/snowpatrol/athlete/idylwyld thus far and now he's working the madness gig tonight and the jools holland show tomorrow -- and no he doesn't get to watch but he still gets to go and get paid -- which can't be all that bad...but its still not the same as the job...so I hope he feels better soon --he has an interview in a week so hopefully that will result in something else...

Oh, and M and I saw star wars last friday: AWESOME!!!! SO great because a) got to go with the boy and it was really nice to do so...b) got to see the movie and it was awesome -- especially r2d2 kicking ass, the descent into the dark side, and the final scene where vadar finds out the fate of padamay -- if you don't leave reenacting it you're a fool...

So yes -- thats a crazy update yet again but it's been pretty positive -- minus the obvious M situation -- but something will work out - even if it means I have to be a sugar mama for while and in return I get foot massages, sympathy during athens 2004 and mexican food...

Lyla

1 Comments:

  • At 10:25 AM, Blogger Martyn said…

    See my blog for how I feel on the job situation.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home