The Secret Ingredient is Crime

I have set this Blog up to keep in contact with my dear friend Johannes de Silentio; he is possibly the coolest person I've ever met and I never want to lose contact with him. Correction: He IS the coolest person I have ever met.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I'm Back for Part Three

You didn't think I'd be this intent on sharing the word of Kundera, but I am...I have seen the light...and it's a black one so the white fuzz shows up everywhere and your teeth look freaky...

a few words first. I am becoming more and more hippy like with my return to Saskatoon. I live downtown. I walk to work. I go to the YWCA. I work for the city. I have now signed up for a local food basket delivery service and am thinking of how to save my scraps for the community compost pile -- I will not get a plot in the community garden but I plan on using my brother's garden to grow some veggies...Soon I'll be jamming to the dead and hanging out in the hallway of my basement inhaling the excess fumes...


Awesomeness insight #3:

'Being in a foreign country means walking a tightrope high above the ground without the net afforded a person by the country where he has his family, collegues, and friends, and where he can easily say what he has to say in a language he has known from childhood'.

fuck language -- this goes beyond language...the norms, values, customs of another country constantly keep you on your toes for fear of judgement, for fear of being told well you wouldn't understand, you don't count, you aren't from here, etc etc etc. You hold fiercly to your own customs and upbringings but don't want to be judged for them, you want to feel like its ok to debate possibilities, but you are constantly seen as the foreigner...you never get to 'fit in'...and this goes for canadians in america and americans in canada...there's always the subtle differences...even if they are more regionalized than nationalized, a different region within the country has more 'right' to contradict than does a different nation....this is an fucking awesomeness insight...because its sooooo spot on...anyone disagree?

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 5:35 AM, Blogger Martyn said…

    I disgree.

    Mainly because you're from Canada and you know fuck all :)

     
  • At 12:37 PM, Blogger Daniela said…

    As a wanderer of the world, I absolutely agree.

    Don't listen to Martyn, he's British so he's probably just upset that the "colonies" are so much better than the "motherland".

     

Post a Comment

<< Home