The Secret Ingredient is Crime

I have set this Blog up to keep in contact with my dear friend Johannes de Silentio; he is possibly the coolest person I've ever met and I never want to lose contact with him. Correction: He IS the coolest person I have ever met.

Monday, October 08, 2007

A year on...

Musings:

Musing One:

So it's been a year since I've started this job and just over a year of me being in the country. Strange how quickly it has gone! However, and I've known this from past experience, being away from home for over a year is just toooooo long. I really miss my family and friends, and sometimes you just need to sleep in a familiar bed! I think the missing also comes from the fact that on days like today, when you know everyone else is celebrating a Canadian holiday and having to do the whole 'family supper' thing, you really miss having the holidays to share with people. I can attempt to recreate the holiday here, but no-one really gets it - which is difficult...I suppose try as I might I don't 'get' British holidays, but I do try (I think 'fireworks day' is a great holiday)! When I tell people I'm making pumpkin pie, all they do is call me strange...le sigh

Musing Two:
FALL is an excellent season, and being out in the sticks/suburbs/back country/boonies/etc lets me appreciate it more (bonus to the back and beyond)! I went on an ace walk exploring our new neighbourhood yesterday and it was the most beautiful weather with some amazing colours. Right now a lot of the ivy on the houses are turning into a brilliant red colour and they look soooo pretty. I should have taken pictures of it all but at the time I just wanted to enjoy it. Plus at one point I wandered into a rough-as-f**k council estate and thought that just being there was a hazard to my health, let alone if I was advertising cheap electronic goods.

Musing Three:
Royal Mail has gone on strike again (they've been on and off strike all summer - resulting in waiting in line to post packages for over half an hour). They went on strike on Thursday to Saturday PM, and are back on strike today till Wednesday. This means we won't get mail delivered for almost a week and as it is, they have said that delivering mail is of the lower priority (isn't that their job) for when they do return to work. Now everyone who knows me knows that I LOVE getting the mail (call me grandma). Not getting the mail is not pleasing to me. Not getting it for an indefinate period of time is also not very pleasing...nor is knowing that I paid the post office a nice chunk of change for re-delivery and that I'm not getting my total number of days worth is upsetting me - and will be expanded on in a nice letter, which I'll attempt to post, but probably won't get anywhere because they will have gone on strike and refused to deliver the letter.

I'll get back to work now - saving further musings for another day.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home