The Secret Ingredient is Crime

I have set this Blog up to keep in contact with my dear friend Johannes de Silentio; he is possibly the coolest person I've ever met and I never want to lose contact with him. Correction: He IS the coolest person I have ever met.

Friday, October 12, 2007

The dangers that lurk outside

I'm always interested in what brings fear into this world and how people respond to it. Recently I was at a research report launch (exciting days I tell you) whereby the researchers found that many people feel that Leeds is an unsafe city and feel fear in it at dark. This astounded me as I find Leeds to be quite safe and friendly - especially compared to other places. Anyways the fear that people hold thereby prevents them from venturing into the city or considering it as a place to live.

In much the same way many people fear travel as they think that places aren't safe enough, or that a terrorist is going to target them specifically, etc. After 9-11 so many people were afraid of flying, where I thought it had to be the safest time to fly; if only I could have afforded to! So I've always questioned people's unjustified fears. At the very least, a fear should be justified, based on a personal, or semi-personal account. For example, a friend of mine who was held at gun point near Georgetown was a bit reluctant to head out for a few weeks after the incident - which was a very rational emotion...in time, she did and overcame it. However, she had a REASON to be afraid.

Now many people have asked me how I enjoy where I work, and whether it is a good place to work. I've always said it was a great place and it was in a decent community whereby the shops are all at hand and everything is accessible. I will stand by this statement, though I must change my attitude to the community itself. For today, I was a victim of a random act of violence, inflicted on me, during the final stages of my commute to work.

I had just exited the train and was taking a short cut through the parking lot. Some people think it is unsafe to walk through parking lots unaccompanied - and until today, I thought that was a load of bollocks. About half way through the parking lot, I felt an undescribable amount of pain, seering through my foot. I tried to shake the pain but it was definate, not a foot cramp setting in.

I gasped out loud, the pain was so intense. Yet nothing seemed amiss in the surroundings. I looked down at my foot and saw nothing, but the pain was still there. I kicked off my shoe and yanked up the hem of my pants, and saw the perp. Dressed in yellow and black, tiny, small insignificant, obviously feeling a need to show off what he's got...

I gasped again, the pain of the sharp point stabbing through my foot. I bent over and swiped the pesky attacker aside and grabbed my foot. I hopped. I realized I looked silly. I gasped again. I put my shoe back on and limped on...no one was going to get the satisfaction of slowing me down. I winced...the pain throbbing....

Let this be a lesson - there are dangers out there that you can't avoid...sometimes random acts of violence occur and you are caught in the crossfire...like I was today. I sit at my desk, wounded, wondering 'what if'....'what if my train had been late'....'what if I had worn a skirt and not long pants', 'what if I hadn't chosen the shortcut'....so many 'what ifs', yet in the end, only the truth...

my foot will be a testimony for all time of the evil world that is...

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 6:06 PM, Blogger Lindell said…

    hahaha. Those tiny, stabby, pervs - lurking in parking lots and attacking young ladies under pant leg areas .. .buggers!!

    Hope your recovering. We had a nice visit with your sis and bro on Sat.

    Miss you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home