The Secret Ingredient is Crime

I have set this Blog up to keep in contact with my dear friend Johannes de Silentio; he is possibly the coolest person I've ever met and I never want to lose contact with him. Correction: He IS the coolest person I have ever met.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Sir Sandford Fleming is rolling in his grave

Copied word for word from wikipedia:

Time zones were first proposed for the entire world by Canada's Sir Sandford Fleming in 1876 as an appendage to the single 24-hour clock he proposed for the entire world (located at the center of the Earth and not linked to any surface meridian!). In 1879 he specified that his universal day would begin at the anti-meridian of Greenwich (now called 180°), while conceding that hourly time zones might have some limited local use. He continued to advocate his system at subsequent international conferences. In October 1884, the International Meridian Conference did not adopt his time zones because they were not within its purview. The conference did adopt a universal day of 24 hours beginning at Greenwich midnight, but specified that it "shall not interfere with the use of local or standard time where desirable".

Nevertheless, most major countries had adopted hourly time zones by 1929.


Apparantly England is not a major country in 2006. Or at least it's 'reference checking people' have not been made aware of the universal concept of time zones, even if the anti-meridan resides in their country.

How much grovelling to my landlord do you think I will have to do after Dan and his wife have been bombarded by phone calls at ungodly hours (2:00 AM) for the past week regarding my reference?

Sigh...M remind me why I'm doing this again?! Oh thats right, that whole 'love' thing....

1 Comments:

  • At 12:09 PM, Blogger Martyn said…

    Love is a wonderful thing, it makes you smile in the pouring rain.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home